New (to me) S20

New (to me) S20

Postby JoshE » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:06 am

Just bought hull #482 yesterday, feel like I got a good deal on her, and I'm stoked to get out on it for the first time tomorrow! I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions, especially related to deck hardware layout. There are more jam cleats on this thing than I can see logical uses for. Are there any photos kicking around that anyone knows of that show detailed examples of how people have their lines laid out?

Thanks!

Josh
JoshE

Re: New (to me) S20

Postby Geoffpz1 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:41 am

Lots of interesting stuff under tech tips. 3 big things if you are going to race her. 1. Get adjustable lowers. 2. Take off the forward winches and 3. Move the travler forward to the seats. Oh yea, cut the tiller down as well if it is stock.

Otherwise have fun.

:D
Geoffpz1

Postby JoshE » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:51 am

Remove the forward winches, eh? Are they really just not needed for the loads these small sails generate, I suppose? You don't happen to have a measurement point as to where to relocate the traveler, do you? What's the reason for this, simply a matter of room for the driver? I do have adjustable lowers on there, which is good. A guy at the rigging shop mentioned replacing the backstay with very narrow spectra - anyone else done this?
JoshE

Postby Geoffpz1 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:54 pm

The forward winches are just not needed. Originally 1 was probably for the Jenny and 1 for the main, but modern clutches and camcleats are more than effective. Just make sure there is a good lead to the starboard primary and you can raise the main with that take it off the winch and have the cam take the load. We never really use it for the genny, Maybe alittle if we miss the hoist at the bottom mark but otherwise they are for your jib sheets X sheeting is key. The new boats don't even have them. The measurement for the trav is really up to you. I gues technically you can look at a new decked boat and put it in the exact spot when measured from the stern, but that is overkill for a 35 yo class. It makes a huge difference for the skip as far as room goes. I have mine on the seat with just enough clearence so the windward sheeting trav can move all the way down. Others have put them on braces at deck level, etc etc etc. I don't know if there is an official rule. As far as the spectra goes. Don't spend the $$ until you can tack with the best of em. Crew work is wayyyyyyyy more important. I still have the original one on there for the last 15 yrs. (prob due for replacing soon......) :D
Geoffpz1

Return to General