Shroud Tension on Aft Lowers

Shroud Tension on Aft Lowers

Postby SailinSisters » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:46 am

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site but and have picked up lots of good information so far. We have She Worthy, the Santana 20 for the women's group at Perry Yacht Club in Kansas. Yes, the one painted pink.

When running a bit short on time before racing and leaving the dock with a "close is good enough" comment on the shroud tension, we discovered just how sensitive and important the tension is to good pointing in various wind conditions. We definitely had one tack more favorable than the other going up wind. So lesson learned.

My question is what should the aft lower tension be on a boat that has no adjustable tracks? I am realizing just how important those adjustments are, but until we can add them to the boat, we'll have to make do.
SailinSisters

Re: Shroud Tension on Aft Lowers

Postby pqbon » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:05 pm

On all 5 boats I have sailed on in light air and down wind there should be basically NO tension on the aft lowers (including my own).

I've never used a loos gauge on the aft lowers when using them in heavier air but they should be used in concert with the backstay in heavier wind.
I've been warned to be careful about the aft lowers when using them with the backstay. You need to keep the back stay on when using the aft lowers otherwise you are pulling the middle of the mast back and the top of the mast forward.

My gut says no more then 5 to 8 maybe even as low as 3 on a PT-1 loos gauge for fixed aft lowers and then never let the back stay completely off. Unless you live in an area of really highwind. Too much on the aft lowers and you will have a really weird mast shape.

It's not cheep but moving to adjustable aft lowers is a great idea.

Cheers,
Will

*** Oh - yeah - boat looks great! - Would love to see some photos of it undersail!
pqbon

Re: Shroud Tension on Aft Lowers

Postby Geoffpz1 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:17 am

+1,
Also, if you do go to the adjustable lowers don't crank on them when the backstay is cranked. (Don't ask how i know this ;) ) ease it a bit before honking on them. 250 lb crew was instructed to never touch them again after that. :?
Geoffpz1

Return to General