Main Halyard Problem - Cleat?

Main Halyard Problem - Cleat?

Postby Wesr » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:32 pm

I am sailing hull 918 (new boat to me this year) and am experiencing some issues with the way the main halyard is terminated when the main is raised. Instead of a cleat to tie off the main halyard when the main sail is raised, I have a small stainless steel hook that a loop on the main halyard attaches to. This hook is all that holds the main up while sailing. The problem is that this hook has straightened a few times while sailing allowing the loop on the halyard to release from the hook thus the main sail and boom to fall to the deck.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and if so what remedies have been implemented. I have thought about adding another eye strap and bullet block on the deck near the base of the mast and running my halyard through this to a cam cleat mounted next to the my down-haul cleat. Another thought was to mount a Harken #140 Big Bullet Block with Cam Cleat near the halyard exit hole in the mast (similar to the jib halyard).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wes
Wesr

Re: Main Halyard Problem - Cleat?

Postby Vernon Green » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:56 am

I have a very easy solution,

Just trade me boats, my mail halyard has no problems so that would easily solve your problem.... :)

Okay on a serious note, I don't see why it would be a problem to just add a harken bullet block at the back of the mast and run back to the companionway cleats. No reason that shouldn't work.

Granted I would like to have a system similar to what you have so it is easy to replicate halyard settings, might try adding a stronger hook?
Vernon Green

Postby Reaction126 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:08 am

You can't rebend the stainless hook. If it opened up then it needs to be replaced as it is weakened with every bend. I'd first try to replace it with a stronger hook and then if that doesn't work change to a block and cleat system like many of the older boats use.
Mark Werder
126 Reaction
Folsom, CA
Reaction126

Postby pqbon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:44 am

Reaction126 wrote:You can't rebend the stainless hook. If it opened up then it needs to be replaced as it is weakened with every bend. I'd first try to replace it with a stronger hook and then if that doesn't work change to a block and cleat system like many of the older boats use.

I agree - replace the hook ASAP. Bent stainless is just waiting to be broken stainless!

Personally, I would recommend keeping the hook system. I've thought about retrofitting my older model boat with the hook system as it makes it really simple to get the main exactly where it is supposed to be. Given how important it is to have repeatable setup on a race boat I really liked sailing on a boat with the hook system.
pqbon

Return to General