Gap between top of keel and hull?

Gap between top of keel and hull?

Postby RRaedeke » Tue May 29, 2012 9:52 am

While inspecting my purchase the other day I discovered that the top of the keel is pulled away slightly from the hull. It is just the at the leading edge, the gap begins right at the front at about 3/16" and then reduces to nothing over about 6". At the top of the keel there is what looks like filler (bondo, epoxy, etc.) that fills an area about 3/8" tall. In reading the old Owners handbook, it appears that this could be the original putty used when the keel was installed. Is this the start of some failure that I need to be getting taken care of.

I have a photo, but I am traveling and my IPad won't allow me to attach it. I will add it when I get back home.

Suggestions?
RRaedeke

Re: Gap between top of keel and hull?

Postby Vernon Green » Tue May 29, 2012 12:24 pm

Most likely the stringers in the boat are soft, but alot of the boats around here have a slight gap at the front of the keel. Alot of people just seal it up with your choice of product and go on. My hull is starting to do it but I plan to pull the keel this coming winter and put in new stringers that the keel bolts run through and I think that should solve most of the problem.
Vernon Green

Postby RRaedeke » Tue May 29, 2012 2:31 pm

Thanks Vernon.
I am seeing this while the mast is down. I would imagine it would get worse while stepped?
The keel bolts on the boat are really rusty (hull #79). I'd consider doing the same, but not sure I could get them off in one piece in order to drop the keel.

When you say choice of product. Is 5200 too hard and I'd be better off with something with some flex like a 4200 or is there something else you recommend?

Thanks for the help.
Richard
RRaedeke

Postby AZExpedition » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:40 pm

My new-to-me #167 has the same issue. I plan on a nice line of 5200 filled in and smoothed over.
AZExpedition

Postby theland39 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:11 pm

You're probably done with this repair, but I replaced my stringers and mast base with structural fiberglass sheet stock from McMaster Carr. great stuff, easy to work with, rot proof, and once I retightened the bolts, any crack was null. Will send you pics if you're interested.
Michelle
Wildcat #74
theland39

Postby Biosudds » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:11 am

Hi Michelle,

I am hoping you still read these forums. I purchased Vernon's boat and am going to undertake the replacement of the stringers. I would love to pictures and any advice about what I am getting myself into.

Thanks,
Andrew
Biosudds

Return to General