Mast compression repair

Mast compression repair

Postby theland39 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:39 am

Hello all, I'm new to this group and am looking forward to some good comradarie and advice from you folks.
I replaced the bulkheads last week in my tuna, and would like to address the mast compression issue I have which is not horrible as of yet. I read the topic from Jeff Kerr about the fix, but photos would be much better for me of the inside of the boat showing it's placement. For example, do I remove the fiberglass casing and replace the stringer underneath? Since that is what gets soft and sinks, I thought that might make sense to do before I add a plate on top. There is a great photo of the plate on top by a gent who rebuilt his mangled beached boat on this site, but I don't think he did the stringers.
Second question, related to the first... If the forward stringer under the mast is soft, then should I also check. And replace the boards under the pan that sits above the keel and the keel bolts through? I saw someone who did it on a 525, and he said his were wood and rotted.
Any thoughts, photos, or advice would be great.
theland39

Re: Mast compression repair

Postby theland39 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:46 am

Well, I've had no suggestions or photos posted, so I tackled the job of repairing my mast compression myself, basically using the seat of my pants as a guide. I hope to get lots of pics, so wish me luck!
theland39

Postby theland39 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:53 pm

Ok, so it took one day to cut out the old bulkheads and floor stringer under the mast post and remove the other two keel bolts and the boards beneath them. All were soaking wet. I know its a boat, but to enclose wood in fiberglass that will inevitably get waterlogged seems like wasted effort.
The bulkheds I replaced with the same 1/2 inch marine plywood.
But... to improve on the materials used under the mastpost and the blocks for the keel bolts was my goal. I decided on G10 material from McMaster Carr. The G10 is available in sizes that match the thicknesses I needed and, although $50 more expensive than wood, was relativley easy to work with, came very quickly in the mail, and has near zero compression, and near zero moisture retention.
FRP material from the same company does not come in the thicknesses I needed, but it is cheaper.
It took another day to cut the board and glass them in. Really, this is a one-day job if you have all the material on site, but it takes a day to get all the dust out of your respirator and clean the boat.
I took pics of the process and will happily send to anyone who needs them.
FYI, when I put the mast up last week, I had to re-tune the rig to compensate for the 1/2 rise in the mast.
theland39

Postby Derek Martin » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:52 pm

Luckily, I've never had to preform the operation you're describing (yet), so all I can do is offer some cheerleading. It sounds like you're doing your boat right, and I know a bunch of us would love to know what you think of the G10 material you used.

I hear what you're saying about the mess and cleanup afterwards. A friend of mine had his boat on my property while he was glassing in some new bulkheads on his '20, and you almost wish you could just turn the boat over and hose it out to get all the dust out of the cabin!

Congrats on the job well done. Post of a few pics here so we can all ooooo and ahhhhh over it!

Derek
Derek Martin

Postby n8duff » Thu May 10, 2012 11:23 am

I will be performing the same repairs on my boat as well. Any pics and tips you can send my way would be great!

Thanks, Nate
n8duff

Postby RRaedeke » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:33 pm

Theland39 - I'd love to see those photos as well.
I think this is in my future as well. Looking to add some ply to the bulkheads to get me through the summer and then tackle the bulkhead replacement with G10 this winter.

Not sure if I'll go completly to the stringer tear out - or simply add the SS plate over top.
Thanks for the images - it will help me get my mind around what I've signed up for.

Richard
RRaedeke

Return to General