Mushroom mastbutt

Mushroom mastbutt

Postby Vernon Green » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:12 pm

The base of my mast is showing a slight bit of mushrooming. I see that it is suggested that a piece of wood is placed inside the mast. How does this work exactly?
Vernon Green

Re: Mushroom mastbutt

Postby Reaction126 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:23 am

I did this repair by shaping a 1 inch thick piece of teak into the shape of the mast extrusion. Inserted it with a small amount of wood showing past the aluminum. Drilled and threaded 4 short stainless wood screws. Re-shaped the mushroomed aluminum to make it flush with the wood. Finally, sanded the excess wood flush with the base of the mast. Looks and functions great as it spreads the load evenly.
Mark Werder
126 Reaction
Folsom, CA
Reaction126

Postby mckeever » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:45 am

Once you have some mushrooming, it's hard to get a well fitting plug into the end of the mast. When I built the new mast for Feisty!, I cast a 2-1/2 - 3 inch thick plug out of West and high density filler in a waxed piece of broken mast of the same section. I drilled a 1/2 inch hole down the center for a drain and line-drilled 4 hefty SS flat-head screws around the plug assembled flush in the end of the mast. The foot of the mast needs to be square laterally (so that both sides of the butt share the load equally when the mast is laterally straight) and rounded somewhat longitudinally (so that it's not standing on a corner when you rake it back or fraculate it forward). I also found that the mast butt bottomed on the bend radii in the bottom my partner fitting without sitting down flush. I flattened parts of those radii with angle grinder & sanding block.
+---------------------------------------------------------------------
| Mike McKeever - Santana 20 #713 "Feisty!" - Boulder, Colorado
| mijamck@gmail.com
| 303.530.4503 Home 303.589.0815 Mobile 928.447.1168 Fax
mckeever

Postby Vernon Green » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:52 am

Thanks guys, it is just starting at the back of the mast where the track is. I am hoping I caught it early enough that I can get a wood block in there and not have to big of an issue I do like the point about the drain hole and had thought of that.

Gonna have to look into this soon.
Vernon Green

Return to General