Trailer Launch

Trailer Launch

Postby RICHARDURBAN » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:17 pm

Could someone kindly give advice on trailer launch. I had a couple difficulties and would like to know the correct procedure (including rope length from vehicle to trailer).
Thanks
Richard
RICHARDURBAN

Re: Trailer Launch

Postby Vernon Green » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:06 pm

Here is a simple step by step.
-back up to ramp, leaving the wheels about 4 feet from the water.
-Chock tires and unhook from the truck
- At this point I suggest having a special wheel of some kinda mount on the trailer. We use a little 10 dollar wheel on an A frame from a local hardware store. The wheel is about 8 inches and is permantently mounted under the tongue of my trailer
-attach a 20 foot tow strap to the truck hitch (use more if you need, we use 2 twenty foot straps)
- Pull truck forward to tighten the straps and unchock the trailer.
-Let boat roll back in a controlled manner and either ride it out or if you have a dock close by walk out on it using a bow and stern line to control the boat.
-Pull the trailer out, rechock and just reverse the process

To load the boat up you just reverse the entire process and I like to ride the trailer out so I can winch the boat on.
If you have more questions just ask, or come to nationals and i will show you how it is done!

It is really easy. It takes us about 4 minutes from when we hook onto the trailer to when we are floating in the water.
Vernon Green

Postby fusion927 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:52 am

Richard,

Take a look at this document Fleet 12 member Mark Werder put together for the 2010 Class Championships:

http://www.s20.org/2010/2010S20CCR/Ramp ... ur+S20.pdf

Mark
fusion927

Postby LeeBitts » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:20 pm

The ramp that I launch on does not have a nice flat service, it is made of pieces of granite. This means that if I tried to lower the trailer using a cable or something similar it would stop on the first bump. My trailer has two 10 foot tongue extenders that allow me to "push" the boat down the ramp. The arrangement is pretty simple and makes launching easy.
LeeBitts

Postby pqbon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:59 pm

Does anyone have a good system for single handed launches from the trailer?

I'd really like to be able to drop my boat in the water by myself but I'm not sure the best way to get the boat off the trailer and under control with only one person.
pqbon

Postby fusion927 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:04 am

Will,

I've done it a couple of different ways.

After backing the boat most of the way into the water, tie off the dock lines with enough slack to allow the boat to float off when backing the rest of the way in (you'll have to get the boat properly tied off before pulling the trailer out of the water).

The other way is to use an extra long bowline. After stretching out the tow strap (but before backing into the water), take the bow line all the way to the tow vehicle (tie it off on the hitch with just a little slack). This will keep the boat on the trailer after it's floating. After the boat is floating, untie the line from the vehicle and walk it back to the boat and use both a bow & stern line to pull it off the trailer.

The first method worked fine when there was no other traffic around, and the 2nd works better when the ramp is busy.

Mark
fusion927

Postby pqbon » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi,

I used method two last night... Long bowline attached on the hitch.
My line was just slightly slack so that the boat would come free and float but not go anywhere.

It worked fine.
I was able to launch and retrieve at about 60% of the speed of having a second person.

Cheers,
Will
pqbon

Return to General