Backstay length? Building the adjuster?

Backstay length? Building the adjuster?

Postby santana20 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:47 am

Postby Scott187332 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:33 pm
Rigging question. I'm having the headstay and both uppers rebuilt. I would like to have the backstay rebuilt as well. I need to look at the parts on my old rig but I don't seem to have a backstay. Does anyone know the length of their backstay and what kind of adjuster you have?

I have the length of the backstay with no adjuster. I'm thinking about building the 6 to 1 adjuster that the boat came with. I noticed the 24 to 1 set up in the rigging section of the site. I don't really understand it. What do you guys think. How should I set up the backstay adjuster since I'm building it?

Thanks

Scott

Postby #706 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:35 pm
Scott,

6:1 will not be enough in the heavier breeze. Most boats play the backstay quite a bite, so the 24:1 is a much more appropriate power. I have an old style deck and have a gross and fine tune. The gross is 12:1 and the fine tune is 24:1. The gross is a cleat on a triple at the connection point of the backstay and the boat. The fine tune is lead forward of the traveler. I am not sure of the stock backstay length, but you can always lengthen the backstay with the your adjustment system. I do not have any pics on hand, but someone must have some of the options.

You will want to make sure it runs smooth, so use a small diameter high strength line.

Good luck...706

Postby Scott187332 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:54 pm
Thank you for the advice. Cascading 24 to 1 it is. I'll figure it out. If anyone has backstay lengths that they know work please post them up. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Scott

Postby Scott187332 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:22 pm
Ok, say I'm getting a handle on this cascading 24 to 1 backstay idea. It looks like everyone splits it and then leads the control line forward to end about at the traveler. Is it a big deal to reach back to the transom and have one control line at the back of the boat? Does anyone have a diagram of there set up?

I'm getting an idea but I'm trying to rig the boat with the what it needs but also trying to keep the boat as clean as possible.

Thanks for any ideas.

Scott
santana20
Site Admin

Re: Backstay length? Building the adjuster?

Postby busybeeolympia » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:43 am

Old post but I'm curious what length you came up with. I'm fixing up a Santana 20 and also need to replace the backstay. Mine is 24' 11"
busybeeolympia

Postby scott187332 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:33 pm

Sorry for the late reply. I've been away from the site for a while.

I ended up using the original backstay on the boat. I don't have a length for you but I can tell what I went with. We will see if this helps. :-) With the mast up I can walk to the back of the boat and the backstay end is just below eye level. I'm about 6 feet tall.

This works out great. When I launch the boat I hop up and detach the backstay with a quick pin. All of the blocks and line lay on the back of the boat and then I walk the loose cable forward.

Are you in Olympia Washington? If your ever in Seattle let me know and we can take a look at my boat.

Good luck,

Scott
scott187332

Postby busybeeolympia » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi Scott. I am in Olympia, WA. I bought my Santana at Shilshole. Maybe you have seen it. Its the one with the red trailer.

I bought a new backstay but I'm not sure how to attach it to the mast head crane.
Attachments
Santana mast head.JPG
Santana mast head and back stay
Santana mast head.JPG (180.76 KiB) Viewed 2864 times
busybeeolympia

Postby scott187332 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:11 am

I was wondering what happened to that boat! :-) I'm glad it's going to get out on the water. I own the bright red boat that is at Shilshole.

I ordered a new masthead crane but it's been so long since I put it together I don't recall how it all went together. Can you copy how the old one was attached? I'm guessing not otherwise you'd have that baby up by now. I was amazed at how many different little stainless connecting pieces they have at West Marine. You may need to take out a second mortgage to purchase them but they do have quite a selection.

I used a cool stainless piece for the forestay. It was shaped like an "H" so the end of the stay slipped between the top portion of the "H" and the deck fitting slipped between the lower portion of the "H".

Maybe something like that?

Good luck,

Scott
scott187332

Return to General