Reefing Line

Reefing Line

Postby watchoverya » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:49 am

Who is rigging how for reefing lines on the S20? Previous owner may not have needed on in NY but we need to reef in Texas. Sail shop has recommended the Harkin #300 system but $$$. Any advice would be helpful.
watchoverya

Re: Reefing Line

Postby Geoffpz1 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:33 pm

Watch,
There has never been an occasion where we have needed to reef, and frankly in the 20+ years I have been racing these things I have never seen a tuna reefed, nor have I seen a modern main sail with reef points. (basically just dump the trav or main sheet if you are over powered) We have raced all over the country and in 20+ regularly(though intermittantly out here;) ). There is really no need. If you absolutely had to, a bullet block on the base of the mast where everything else is, a small cheek block on the front of the boom and a line through the (now defunct but some boats had them)topping lift block on the end of the boom should suffice. No need to get the $$$$$ system as any reef you put in will make the loads extremly small......... Might I suggest a Jib instead??
Geoffpz1

Postby watchoverya » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Geoff, come on Dow to Tejas and sail our Frostbite series. If flat is fast my question is legitimate. Thanks for the response once I got thru the judgement.
watchoverya

Postby pqbon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:30 pm

watchoverya,

What Geoffpz1 is telling you is that as a one design fleet the S20s don't reef on race boats. We all buy sails without reef points.
Even when I race in SF bay on my 20 we don't reef the main. We've sailed the S20 in 20+ both on the bay and on our lake with our non-reefing main.
We run the Jib.
Flatten the main with the outhaul and cunning ham.
Heavy on the backstay.

If we are overpowered (depends on crew weight -- if we get 3 of US at ~200lbs it is easier) we drop the traveler and ease the main sheet.

If I were going to run a reefing system (which I wouldn't because it would be a big disadvantage to the sail in light conditions that a 20 excels in) I would just run a soft strap outhaul around the boom and move the cunning ham hook up. I would NOT use any kind of jiffy reefing. I also would not leave the reefing lines in the sail as you are already paying the penalty for the extra reefing point re-enforcements.

The only time I ever wanted a reefing main was when I was out cruising with my daughters in storm and they didn't like the heal angle as we beat our way back to the marina.
However, I still found the boat manageable -- it would have strictly been for their comfort.
pqbon

Postby watchoverya » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:27 am

Thank you for the perspective and advice.
watchoverya

Return to General